Super six as Keynsham Rugby extend unbeaten run

October 27 2015

Keynsham Rugby made it six wins from six league outings following a hard fought but deserved away victory at Wellington on Saturday, October 24.

by Rob Breckon

Keynsham Rugby made it six wins from six league outings following a hard fought but deserved away victory at Wellington on Saturday, October 24. Final score 9-17.

Despite welcoming back four regular first team players, Keynsham were again without a full roster due to absences from fly half Joe Davies, winger Marlon Dorsett, centre Jack Hawkins and second row Gareth Jones. 

However, the amber and blacks started the stronger, dominating early exchanges and forcing Wellington to concede errors in their own attack.

With 18 minutes played, Keynsham’s powerful pack provided a perfect platform for the game’s first try. Captain and number 8 Jack Weston picked up the ball at the back of a scrum and began a bullocking run into the 22, handing off the opposition fly half and releasing the ball to supporting scrum half James Wetton. Quick hands from Wetton found open side flanker Brad Newton, who crashed over. 0-5.

Keynsham continued to dominate the first half with staunch defence and a host of direct running in attack. However, a string of needless penalties allowed Wellington to potentially claim their first points of the day except for the penalty kick to be skewed wide. The resulting 22 drop out was well received by the home side but as they looked to attack out wide, pacy winger John Pearce snatched an intercept and sprinted in from 65 metres to claim Keynsham’s second try. Fly half Sam Challenger added the conversion. 0-12

On the close of the first half, Wellington clawed back three vital points with a well taken penalty by Matt Parsons from 30 metres out to make the half time score 3-12.

The second half started with a strong attacking spell from the home side. However, despite good phases of play, Wellington were unable to penetrate the physical and well-drilled Keynsham defence. 

It wasn’t until an hour had been played that the home side closed the gap once more with two well taken three-pointers, the first a penalty followed by a nicely slotted drop goal to make the scores just a three point game - 9-12.

As the game entered the last 10 minutes, the Keynsham pack once again asserted their physicality and another attacking scrum on Wellington’s five metre line allowed the away side to heave their way over for an important and ultimately match-deciding try, Weston dotting the ball down. 9-17.

A fumbled restart by Keynsham allowed Wellington a final chance to snatch a losing bonus point but again were out-muscled off the ball which was hoofed into touch for another important away win.

Captain Weston said: “Another away win is fantastic. We gave away far too many penalties but this result is testament to our defence as we only allowed Wellington into our 22 three times all game. 

“To have notched up six consecutive league wins and remain unbeaten as we enter November is credit to this squad’s belief and effort every time they put on the Keynsham shirt.”