November Column: News from Keynsham Town Football Club

November 09 2013
Thumbnail Image

October produced mixed fortunes for Keynsham Town’s first XI, with progress in the Somerset FA Premier Cup on the positive side being balanced by two draws and three defeats in their five Western league Division One fixtures.

October produced mixed fortunes for Keynsham Town’s first XI, with progress in the Somerset FA Premier Cup on the positive side being balanced by two draws and three defeats in their five Western league Division One fixtures.

Western League Premier Division side Hengrove Athletic visited the AJN Stadium on October 1 in the Somerset FA Premier Cup 1st Round and Keynsham deservedly ran out 2-0 winners.

Next up was a trip to table-toppers Bradford Town, who had fired in an impressive 49 goals in all competitions so far this season. Unfortunately two red cards spoilt a great game of football in the late summer sun at Trowbridge Road. Many of the neutrals at the game couldn’t tell who was top of the league and who was bottom with Keynsham putting on a great passing display and working hard for each other.

The first half produced few clear chances and the K’s deservedly held the hosts to 0-0. Bradford hit the post from a free-kick on 77 minutes; then a moment later a breakaway saw the home side take the lead. This goal was gutting for K’s debutant keeper Matt Dunk, who pulled off some decent saves throughout the game and commanded his makeshift back-line well. Despite their best endeavours, Keynsham failed to find an equaliser.

Keynsham then visited local rivals Oldland Abbotonians and left with a valuable away point after a hard-fought 1-1 draw. Ryan Ashwood made his debut for Keynsham after signing from Bitton and gave the team an extra bit of width on the pitch. Before he would have a crucial involvement in affairs though, Oldland took the lead with a good move which stretched the K’s defensive line. However with 10 minutes to go, Ashwood beat two defenders and squared the ball to the grateful Pat Davison, who finished it, much to the delight of the strong Keynsham support.

The next week saw Keynsham suffer another two league defeats. On a bitterly cold Tuesday night when many were watching England secure passage to Brazil, 40-odd hardy souls witnessed Keynsham go down 6-1 at home to Calne Town.

Keynsham dug deep and kept trying to play an attacking game, with their persistence being rewarded on 35 minutes. A throw-in from Lewis Morgan down the line saw Chris Lewis keep the ball in play, and play a first-time ball across the box for Ryan Ashwood to stab home. However, it soon got worse before half-time for the Keynsham faithful as Calne made it 5-1 on 43 minutes. After the break, Keynsham looked stronger, but it wasn’t their night and Calne finished the job with a sixth goal.

A visit to Welton Rovers then saw another defeat, this time by a margin of 3-0. Welton took an early lead and were the better side in the first half, although Keynsham gradually came into the game. However, all the hard work of the first half was undone inside the first minute of the second half, when Keynsham lost possession from the restart and Welton punished the error. Despite a couple of efforts on the Welton goal, the home side could even afford to miss a penalty before adding to their tally just before the end to make it 3-0.

The final game of the month saw Keynsham come back from 2-0 down to salvage a well-earned point at home to Devizes Town.

Devizes’ first goal came on 20 minutes – a splendid header from a corner that three defenders on the Keynsham goal line failed to prevent – and this looked to herald another defeat for the struggling home side. Just before half-time, matters became worse as Keynsham gave away a penalty, which was duly dispatched.
However the second half saw more Keynsham resolve, although they didn’t look like they had the penetration to mount a comeback. Then a tactical switch by Steve Cains saw Scott Brain enter the fray, making a welcome return from a lengthy injury absence. This allowed Pat Davison to resume his familiar position up front and Keynsham’s first goal quickly followed in the 80th minute when he toed in from a goal-mouth scramble. Then in the first minute of stoppage time, there was another melee in the Devizes goal-mouth and this time Seb Spiller made up for his earlier mistake for the penalty by stabbing the ball home.

Keynsham’s reserve team have also had some ups and downs in the Somerset County League Division One. They have won four of their 11 league matches so far and lie 11th in the league table.

The reserves are also undertaking a match day sponsored walk to and from their away Somerset County League game at Saltford on Saturday, November 9. The objective is to raise much-needed funds for the team, with all money raised going towards team tracksuits and the ongoing running costs of the team. The team will be walking up Keynsham High Street around midday and any support you can give your local team will be greatly appreciated.

November is a busy month for the first team, with league games at home to Portishead (November 9 – 3pm ko), Chippenham Park (November 12 – 7.45pm ko), Chard (November  16 – 3pm ko) and Wells (November 30 – 3pm ko). There are also league visits to Corsham and Westbury, plus a Les Phillips Cup encounter at Ashton & Backwell.

The club’s reward for the Somerset FA Premier Cup victory over Hengrove is a mouth-watering second round clash at home to Southern Premier League side Frome Town, who ply their trade three divisions higher than Keynsham Town, on December 3 (7.45pm ko).

Finally, the club have announced the results of the September 500 Club draw as follows:

  • 1st Prize – £50 – Barrie Morris
  • 2nd Prize – £30 – Brian Sealy
  • 3rd Prizes – 3 x £10 – Brian Collings, Mrs E J Smale and Robert Brooks