Keynsham first team climbing the league with winning ways

December 07 2013
Thumbnail Image

The first team travelled to Chosen Hill FP RFC at the end of October hoping to make it three wins from three games.

There are four league game weekends to report this month, writes our correspondent. The first team travelled to Chosen Hill FP RFC at the end of October hoping to make it three wins from three games. In a close encounter they were disappointed and had to settle for a draw at 17 points apiece. Keynsham took the lead from a try by James Hurrell-Smith, but playing against a strong wind and up hill, they fell 17-5 behind but on the stroke of half time they won a penalty and quick thinking and quick feet allowed scrum half John Pearse to make 40 metres before giving a scoring pass to centre Jack Weston to score near the posts; Paul Edson converted to leave Keynsham in a strong position just 5 points adrift. They equalised through a debut 1st XV try by second row Luke Beavan.

A week later they returned to winning ways at home picking up a try bonus point en route against North Bristol RFC. The visitors took an early lead but were pegged back by two Keynsham tries.  Jack Weston scored an unconverted try after a sublime ‘pop pass’ from prop Phil Harvey and John Pearse scored a great individual try;  this was converted by Paul Edson, who added a penalty to make it 13-5 at the break. Marlon Dorset added an unconverted try early in the second half before North scored to close the gap. A super team effort try by Joe-Luca Smith, converted by Edson secured the win but there was a final consolation try by the visitors to leave the final score 25-15.

The following week colours were lowered when they made the short trip to Brislington to play Bristol Harlequins. The home side were soon 15 points to the good.  Keynsham fought back and scored a fine try by Paul Cooper after a break by prop Phil Harvey; Paul Edson converted. Another home converted try saw ‘Quins lead at half time 22-7. Keynsham opened the scoring in the second half when John Pearse make a break and sprinted in from the half way line, Edson converting. But in the last 30 minutes ‘Quins turned up the heat and stretched out to 34-14 winners.

Seven days later they defeated Old Bristolians in a combination Cup match and in the final game they turned in a superlative performance at home, beating Barton Hill 39-10. Tries from Marlon Dorset, Will Bryon and Louis Bush in the first half; James Hurrell-Smith (2) and Ben Newman added 3 more in the second half. Paul Edson contributed 9 points from kicks.

Second team sink to bottom of league

The second XV’s dismal start to the season continued.  They lost 12-69 at the Crown Field to Weston RFC with Dan Harvey and James Wetton scoring tries and Rob Breckon supplying a conversion. There then followed a 10-40 reversal at St Bernadette’s OB’s; Dan Howlett and Lee Tattersall crossing for Keynsham’s points. Another home loss, this time against Stothert & Pitt RFC was to come with a 27-43 scoreline;  Marcus Adams, Dan Howlett and Rob Breckon were among the Keynsham point scorers. In the last game of this period they worried visitors, Taunton 2nds and at half time they trailed by just 2 points at 8-10; Keynsham’s points from a try and a penalty by Rob Breckon.  The second half was a different story as the young Taunton team, containing a plethora of Somerset under 21’s, tore the home side asunder and they ran in 30 unanswered points.

Mixed bag for 3rd XV

The thirds were away to Chew Valley RFC 2nd and lost 0-27, which was not really a true reflection on what was an enjoyable, competitive game. The pack was on top but some missed tackles and poor defensive alignment caused by inexperience lead to the score difference being as high as it was. Another defeat followed against Clevedon at home 5-17 with Tom Lewis being the scorer for the K’s. The next week they travelled to Gordano to play their 2nd team and were beaten 13-29.  Finally,they returned to early season winning ways and rattled in 6 tries against a gnarled Winscombe side, at the Crown Field. Calum Fennell was the man of the match in a game where the Keynsham pack again dominated the 36-17 victory.


The fourths lost at home 10-26 to Oldfield 3rds with ‘Essex Nick’ Towey and the ‘Thorpedo’ providing the points from tries. The Vets side went on a tour in Torquay.  An early kick off to facilitate the England/Argentina game on TV did not allow sufficient time for the previous night’s festivities to wear off and they trailed Torquay Athletic 3rd XV by 17-0 at half time. This soon became 29-0 but then the team began to perform taking K’s Vets tally to 17.

  • Winners in the Dennis Cockbaine Club (fund raising lottery) draw for November were £100 Mrs Jaz Crossman and £50 Mr Neal Harris.
  • Next home games: 14th December, 2nds v Wiveliscombe and 4th Jan 1sts V Midsomer Norton.