Glimpses of Keynsham rugby squad's talent

November 06 2012

The season still hasn’t taken off properly for the local rugby team, writes our correspondent.

Glimpses of Keynsham rugby squad's talent

The season still hasn’t taken off properly for the local rugby team. They still show just tantalising glimpses of the undoubted talent in the squad, but cannot string together any consistent performances. Perhaps bonfire night might ignite their fuse for November and onwards.

30th September

For the second week in a row all senior sides lost their games. There were 25 unavailability’s for various reasons this week and all sides were weakened.  The firsts lost, away at Matson RFC where they met a faster, more direct and more determined young team. 25-nil down at half time there was a brief resurgence with 2 spectacular tries and one near miss, but the home side pulled ahead again to finish 46-14 victors. Keynsham’s 2 tries were from Joe Blann and Ben Bolster; Bolster adding the conversion on both occasions.

The 2nd XV lost at home to Stothert and Pitt RFC 1st XV. Despite brave efforts by the colts who had been promoted, Keynsham still showed a propensity to give away ‘soft’ tries. Keynsham’s points came from tries from Andy Griffiths and “Swiss” Watts, both of which were converted by Rob Breckon.
The thirds travelled to Clevedon RFC and, despite having a total dominance in the pack throughout, lost 33- nil.

6th October

A good sized crowd were treated to a first half of open, entertaining rugby at the Crown Field where North Bristol RFC was the visiting team. Both sides opened the game in an exhilarating manner and managed to keep the pace high throughout the 40 minutes. At half time Keynsham led 14-8 from 2 marvellous tries, one from winger Luke Coles and one from centre, Joe Blann; both were converted by the lively No 10, Ben Bolster. The second half was a more turgid affair, although very exciting. Ketnsham scored just a penalty from Bolster but North Bristol scored a converted try and a penalty to win  23-17 and the local boys had to be satisfied with just the consolation of a losing bonus point.

The seconds got their first win of the season away at Imperial. A feisty, physical game saw Keynsham edge through 12-5 from tries by Rob Breckon and Lee Tattersall, with Breckon adding a conversion. They threw away several other chances but at least their defence was good and gave no east points away this week.

The 3rds racked up a great 59-7 win over Winscombe 2’s. Total dominance up front gave the backs full reign and there were tries for Matt Madigan (3) , Greg Dix (2), Kerran Beavis, James Marsh and Chris Blacker.

The fourths had a great game at Bath O E’s just losing 29-31. Tries from Mike Marsh (2), James Reeves, Mitch Lewis and Sam Harvey with 2 conversions from Sam Stuart were just not quite enough.

13th October

The firsts travelled to Failand to play Old Bristolians and lost 40-13. It was an error strewn performance from the local team, which had been weakened by late injury cry-offs. Two intercept tries from the home team in the second half really epitomised Keynsham’s failings and put the result out of reach, despite a comeback in the latter stages. Ben Newman and James Hurrell-Smith scored tries, Ben Bolster adding 3 points from a penalty.

The seconds started brightly against Winscome 1st XV at the Crown Field but sadly lost their way. Again the side made silly errors in the wrong areas of the pitch and were duly punished. The final score of 5-27 was somewhat flattering to the visitors, Rob Pyne scoring Keynsham’s only points from a pushover try.

The 3rds lost, away, at Hornets 36-3, with their only points coming from a penalty by John Pierce. They defended bravely throughout and without the great effort and commitment shown would have been overrun.

The 4th XV saved the club from another whitewash.  The ‘spirit of rugby’ was honoured as Walcott travelled with just 12 players, Keynsham had a spare player who was ‘lent’ to the opposition so a 14 a-side game took place, and what a cracker it was! Fifteen tries in all saw Keynsham edge home 46-45. Try scorers were Joe Robbins (4), Bismark ‘Dick’ duPlessis, Liam Robbins and Jon Bishop.

20th October

It was another frustrating game for the 1st XV as they went down, at home to Avon RFC 14-22. There were sporadic signs of the great quality rugby the team is capable of, but again this was lost mistakes, wrong options and poor game management. Some of their defending was described as – Kamikase.  James Hurrell Smith and Ben Bolster scored super tries, both converted by Bolster.

The seconds started strongly at Weston super Mare with backs and forwards combining well, but 2 tries against the run of play saw Weston 17-3 up at half time. In the second half Weston’s fitness told and the local side were guilty of too many missed tackles, leaving the final score 34-8 in Weston’s favour. K’s points came from a penalty by Rob Breckon and a try from Dan Keepax. Brad Newton, Dan Howlett and Rocky O’Keefe were the main contenders for the man of the match.

The thirds, at home, held top of the table Gordano 2nds to a 22-22 draw, and were unlucky not to edge through. This great result came from having given a strong pack performance. They led 5-3 at half time from a try by Danny Slade but some silly mistakes and wrong options saw Gordano surge ahead. However, Keynsham re-grouped and tries from Chris Bakker, Russ Tanner and Gaz Deere, one converted by Deere, saw the match saved and 2 league points in the bag.

The 4th team again saved Keynsham’s blushes by winning their game against Imperial RFC at the Crown Field 17-0. They were too strong and well drilled for their opposition. A tight, even first half saw the sides tied at 0-0 at half time, but 6 changes at the interval saw the arrival of some old heads, and Keynsham surged ahead from there on with three unanswered tries. The first was a fine effort from Steve Beere, and the second a move involving 3 players, total age of 160+, with Mike Marsh combining with Mickey Vickery to put Bismark duPlessis over the line. The final try saw Ed Balmond running the length of the field for a super score, converted by Geoff Green.

27th October

The First’s travelled to Gloucester and, hopefully, got on the winning trail, coming home victors 13-6.  Against doughty opponents they had to work hard for the league points the club needed so desperately. All K’s points came from Ben Bolster with a try, a conversion and 2 penalties.

The seconds went down at home to a very powerful Old Redcliffians 2nd XV 14-45.Keynsham had 2 tries from prop forward Matt Coughlan, making his way back from injury, both converted by Rob Breckon.

The thirds racked up another good win, away at Midsomer Norton 3rd’s, 15-43. Another strong pack performance set the foundations for this result. The six try scorers were James Rivers, Sam Stuart, Russ Tanner, John Pierce, Nick Hatcliffe and Scott Leach with Pierce adding 15 points from his boot. Man of the Match – James Preston.

Forthcoming matches at the Crown Field are:- 17th November, 2nds vTaunton 2nds.  24th November 1sts v Bristol ‘Quins.  8th December 2nds v Nailsea & Backwell 1sts.