Firsts on winning streak, suffering just one defeat

November 09 2013
Thumbnail Image

There have been five weekends since October's edition of Keynshamvoice and the first team has secured three wins, a draw and suffered one defeat, so quite a good spell.

There have been five weekends since last month’s edition of this paper and the first team has secured three wins, a draw and suffered one defeat, so quite a good spell.

The seconds on the other hand played five and lost five; the thirds lost three from four. The fourths won one and lost one with one game postponed.

The firsts were slightly the better of two poor teams in their home match against Cirencester, prevailing 22-12. Their points came from a Dean Whitcombe try and two tries by James Hurrell-Smith with seven points from the boot of Gaz Deere.  They then travelled and lost at Drybrook 20-32 before getting back on the winning trail away at Old Bristollians 33-30.  The local side’s points came from two Marlon Dorset tries, one from centre Will Byron and five points from the boot of Gaz Deere. The Old B’s game was amazing as, in a match not affected by either a slope or weather conditions, they found themselves 30 points to nil down at half time. A completely revitalised team saw this deficit quickly eroded and then shortly before the final whistle they got the winning converted try. K’s scorers were James Hurrel-Smith, Marlon Dorset, Pete Laverick , Jamie Williams and Phil Harvey; Paul Edson kicked seven points.

A dour win at the Crown Field against Matson followed with conditions not favouring quality rugby.  The visitors must have rued spilling several match-winning chances as Keynsham sneaked a 17-11 margin. In the final game at Gloucester they drew with Chosen Hill FP 17 all.  James Hurrell-Smith, Jack Weston and Luke Beavan were the try scorers, Edson kicking one conversion.

The seconds have so far been unable to field a settled side and are not doing themselves justice, albeit they play against mainly first fifteen sides.  They went down 10-39 against Gordano, 15-26 v Yatton, 13-35 versus Old Reds, 6-37 at Nailsea/Backwell and 12-69  at home where Weston-super-Mare were the opponents. Point scorers in these matches included tries from Harry Tadd, Jack Weston (2), Sam Stewart, Marcus Adams, Dan Harvey and James Wetton, with Matt Fairless kicking 21 points and Rob Breckon 2.

The thirds beat Walcott 2nds 10-6, lost 0-20 against Weston-super-Mare 3rds, went down 22-27 versus Bristol ‘Quins 2nds with the last move of the game and, finally came away from Chew Valley having lost 0-20. In the Walcott game James Preston was superb and it was mainly thanks to his efforts that Kieran Harvey and Jake Brooks were able to claim unconverted tries. Against ‘Quins “man of the match” James Rivers scored three tries, the last of which saw him flatten a very large prop forward in the process.  Sam Lapham was the other Keynsham try scorer, with Josh Hughes adding a conversion.  The pack was on top against Chew Valley, but some missed tackles and poor defensive alignment caused by inexperience led to the score difference being as high as it was.

The fourths were a few men light when losing to Walcott 3rds who did loan players to make a more even game;  Kye Hommans made a promising debut and Chris Wareing, playing his first game in 12 years, threw himself around with abandon. In a fast-flowing game there were tries for Dave Thorpe and Reese Davies and a conversion from Joe Hemmings in the 12-31 loss.

  • Home matches coming up are: November 9, 2nds v Stothert & Pitt; November 23, 1sts v Barton Hill; November 30 2nds v Tor.
  • Picture: Richard Angell