Call to divert HGVs away from Keynsham's roads

October 07 2017

Keynsham councillors are pushing for tougher rules on the routes heavy goods vehicles can use to access new housing developments on the southern edge of the town.

Keynsham councillors are pushing for tougher rules on the routes heavy goods vehicles can use to access new housing developments on the southern edge of the town.

Concern has been raised about lorries using busy Charlton Road and St Ladoc Road to travel through the town to and from building sites at Parkhouse Lane.

Barratt Homes is working on its new Bilbie Green estate, while Persimmon and Bloor Homes are each planning to build 100 new homes on neighbouring land – with Bloor getting the go-ahead in August.

Now calls have been made to Bath and North East Somerset Council to insist that HGVs must only approach and leave the sites via the A37 Wells Road.

Councillor Alan Hale, Keynsham South ward councillor and the council’s road safety advocate, said residents in the area had already suffered years of “significant problems” with HGVs accessing the Meadows site and shouldn’t have to “endure” more. He said he wrote to B&NES’ divisional director for development to voice his concerns some months ago – and is now making a fresh appeal for restrictions.

Mr Hale said: “Many parts of Keynsham have been severely impacted by a large number of HGVs and earth-moving vehicles for some eight years now and when the two developments at the top of Charlton Road emerged I wrote to the council’s senior planning officers stating that in my view all HGV traffic serving those developments must approach the site and indeed leave the site via the Wells Road.  Charlton Road has now become a significantly busy road and the residents of St Ladoc Road and Charlton Road should not have to endure several more years of more HGVs affecting their quality of life.

“The Meadows development, which is now almost complete, demonstrated that allowing development to take place without good vehicle access causes significant problems, both for those neighbouring the development as well as new residents.”   

He added: “I recently wrote to the planning officer who dealt with the application about this issue, only to find that no condition has been imposed, as I had requested, requiring construction traffic to approach from the Wells Road.  However, I will continue lobbying for traffic to approach these developments from Wells Road and not via the town’s roads, adding to wear and tear on the roads and traffic congestion in the town.”

Fellow Keynsham councillor Charles Gerrish added: “I have also received complaints from residents in both Charlton Road and St Ladoc Road relating to the speed and volume of large vehicles that appear to have originated from these development sites and I would totally support my colleague Alan in his approach to the council. In addition, I have also raised the matter with the council’s new cabinet member for transport.”

Meanwhile, officers at B&NES recorded 434 HGVs using Keynsham as a through route during a one-day study from 4am to 10pm – 114 of which exceeded the 7.5-tonne limit. Improving signage, lobbying police to enforce weight restrictions and contacting haulage firms that repeatedly flout the restrictions are among measures to tackle the issue.

The study was one of several recently undertaken into transport issues in Keynsham, including a relief road to the south of the town and safety on Charlton Road  – the results can be seen at www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/parking-and-travel/transport-plans-and-policies/future-growth-keynsham-transport-study