More than 600 object to Hicks Gate drilling proposal

Published on: 07 Dec 2012

More than 600 object to Hicks Gate drilling proposal

Consultation has been extended for the second time on proposals for test-drilling for coalbed methane at Hicks Gate.

Comments from the public on the application by UK Methane Ltd will now be accepted until December 20.

More than 600 objections to the plans had already been submitted to Bath and North East Somerset Council by the beginning of December.

If approved, the company will carry out exploratory work by drilling a single hole at the site to test the viability of extracting coalbed methane. The company would submit a second application to continue the work.

Following its November 12 meeting, Keynsham Town Council has objected to the plan on a number of grounds, including health concerns for neighbouring residents and have called for an archaeological survey and assessment of the risks to the environment.

A spokesperson for the Transition Keynsham group, which organised a public meeting on the proposals in October, said: “We’re extremely encouraged by the number of objections and Keynsham Town Council’s unanimous rejection of the proposal.

“We hope that B&NES development control committe take into consideration all 636 objections and reject UK Methane’s planning application.”

UK Methane Ltd director Gerwyn Williams has previously told the BBC the processes used in coalbed methane extraction are strictly governed and safe.

View the company’s proposal at www.bathnes.gov.uk, application reference 12/04304/FUL.

Comments (0)






Add a new comment:* (Allowed tags: <b><i><br>)

*Mandatory fields