Keynsham Rugby do the double over Avon with commanding win

Published on: 02 Apr 2016

April 2016

by Rob Breckon

Keynsham quickly made amends for a disappointing result the previous week against Stroud with a commanding victory over Bath-based neighbours Avon on March 19. Final score 21-9.

A strong start from the hosts showed their intent early on, using the full width of the pitch and stringing together a good number of phases.

The early pressure told and a penalty kick to touch allowed the Keynsham pack to set up their formidable six-man catch and drive. Like many times before, the pack was clinical in the finishing, with captain and number 8 Jack Weston burrowing over. 5-0.

As the game entered the ten-minute mark, another penalty kick to the corner looked to replicate the amber and blacks’ earlier try. Another well-set catch and drive this time allowed Weston to peel away from the maul feeding the supporting scrum half John Pearce, who ran in unopposed. 10-0.

For the majority of the first half the momentum stayed generally with the home side with a number of good carries but the final pass wouldn’t seem to stick and Keynsham weren’t able to further capitalise on their possession and territory.

Frustratingly for the home side, they got themselves on the wrong side of the referee just before half time, giving away a number of silly penalties, allowing Avon’s fly half to gratefully slot three successful penalties to make the half-time score 10-9.

Like many games this season, Keynsham upped the tempo in the second half and increasingly added width to their game with Avon struggling to keep them at bay.

Further pressure on the 50-minute mark continued to stretch Avon’s defence, allowing Pearce to show his wicked turn of pace and dart through a hole, weave his way around a number of defenders and release the ball to the supporting back row Jamie Williams, who dotted down for Keynsham’s third try. 15-9.

More solid interlinking play between the backs and the forwards continued to make inroads in the Avon defence and the home side were awarded two separate penalties in which fly half Joe Davies stretched his side’s lead to 21-9 with a brace of successful penalty kicks.

Avon responded with their only entrance into Keynsham’s half in the second half with another penalty attempt from their fly half, except this time the kick hit the upright and Keynsham cleared their line.

The final minutes of the game saw the home side chase the bonus point try with their wings in Adam Tesdale and Marlon Dorsett and a barnstorming run from Angell coming close to securing the all-important fourth try but unfortunately coming up just short. Full time 21-9.

Captain Weston said: “It was disappointing not to get the bonus point after dominating the game. We weren’t at our best today but still got the win to keep that gap between us and third and put us one step closer to securing a play-off place.

“A week off next week will help as a few guys are carrying knocks, then we face a trip to Barton Hill [on Saturday, April 2], which is always interesting.”


Comments (0)

Add a new comment:* (Allowed tags: <b><i><br>)

*Mandatory fields